Urology/priapism question

Question
Hello Doctor Stephen,
first i do really need to thank you all for the great help you offer here.
i do have anxiety of priapism during sleep.
whenever i wake up at night i found my penis in longitude state, it is not firm but it is hard enough and with a little touch it can be harder for intercourse.
the problem that is almost the whole night , i wake up every hour or two with this erection.
my local physical gave me some muscle relaxing pills with no help. then he decided it is nothing to worry about.
I already been diagnosed with ED and i used to take 50m Viagra before intercourse but i have stopped since over 2 months and now only using multi-vitamins pills for general health and blood circulation.
Is this something to worry about please ?
my doctor saying that this longitude is even good as it improves blood circulation in penis though i worry as i never been like that before ( all night whenever i wake i found such state) and i am afraid the rapid of it could be damaging my penis fabric.
the erection it self is not painful , but in the morning i feel discomfort-able in my penis i guess due to long / many night erections.
thank you very much and wish you a happy holiday season
Neman

Answer
Neman:

The problem is clearly your anxiety.  If you were having significant priapism during sleep, at this point your erection function would be severely destroyed which is not the case.  Just because you wake up with an erection does not mean it's been there continually.  A sleeping aid might be useful.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD