Urology/Rock Hard Erection

Question
Dear Mr. Leslie,
I have a very simple question for you. I am often hearing about erections being "rock hard." Exactly what does this mean?

I can't remember my erections ever being literally as hard as a rock, or a metal tube, etc. To the best of my knowledge, there is soft tissue surrounding the cavernous bodies which would make this physically impossible, correct?

I have psychogenic ED, and when I went to get a penile ultrasound, after being injected with the prostaglandin, I had a full erection. Normal inflow, 0 outflow. The technician said it was "hard as a rock." However, touching it, I knew it was not literally this hard. I could still even bend it very slightly, and then it would bounce back up. Same thing happens when I take viagra. Fully erect, no problems, but not LITERALLY as hard as a metal tube.

Isn't the "rock hard" thing an exaggeration? How hard does an erection need to be in order to confirm that one does not have ED?

Best,
Jeff

Answer
Jeff:

"Hard as a rock" is an expression and not a medical term.  If you are getting a full and rigid erection, it is not required that it is literally as "hard as a rock".

Technically, an erection only needs to be hard enough for penetration.  If it can't get that hard, that would be ED.  From your description, you don't have ED.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD