Urology/Rock Hard Erection

Question
Dear Mr. Suppe,
I have a very simple question for you. I am often hearing about erections being "rock hard." Exactly what does this mean?

I can't remember my erections ever being literally as hard as a rock, or a metal tube, etc. To the best of my knowledge, there is soft tissue surrounding the cavernous bodies which would make this physically impossible, correct?

I have psychogenic ED, and when I went to get a penile ultrasound, after being injected with the prostaglandin, I had a full erection. Normal inflow, 0 outflow. The technician said it was "hard as a rock." However, touching it, I knew it was not literally this hard. I could still even bend it very slightly, and then it would bounce back up. Same thing happens when I take viagra. Fully erect, no problems, but not LITERALLY as hard as a metal tube.

Isn't the "rock hard" thing an exaggeration? How hard does an erection need to be in order to confirm that one does not have ED?

Best,
Jeff

Answer
Jeff
This is just a figure of speech to describe rigidity and people tend to compare things that are mild exaggerations of reality. No penis is hard as a rock but if its hard enough that if you bend it and its hurts a great deal or can easily penetrate vaginally or anally its normal.  

Urology

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT