Urology/Slight Pain / loss of erection from using a Penis Extender around 8 months back

QUESTION: Respected Doctor,

I am single and 31 years of age. I'm writing this with a great deal of frustration and anxiety.

Around 8 months back (April 1st week), I used a Penis extender only for about 2 - 3 minutes. Believe I tightened it a bit hard around my penis (not elongate / stretch it); ever since, I'm feeling a slight pain at random times during the day (like that of a minor bruise) just below the corona along the area where I applied the extender.

I've been having weaker morning erections ever since and also lost erections attained just from touches /  sexual thoughts. I am able to attain proper hard erections like before only by masturbating / watch sexually explicit materials, which again is not lasting long enough as it was before.

My Penis looks just as normal as it was before and there has been no disturbance / pain to urinary function and no kinds of discharge / blood noticed. I've not had sex ever since; though I end up masturbating atleast once in 2 weeks - mostly out of anxiety to ensure the erection is still attainable.

Initially I thought this would have been a sensory nerve issue and might be healing by itself but I don't see that happening. I am planning to see a good Urologist very soon but I have the following questions here:

(1). Looking at the above details, do you think this would be an issue with sensory nerves or motor nerves of the Penis?

(2). Specifically since I'm still able to attain full erection (though only by the means explained); do you think this would be a permanent damage or a temporary one which can be healed with proper medication?

(3). Is there proven and effective pills / medicines available which would help in healing such internal injuries / revive the damaged nerves and facilitate cell growth? If yes, any time period within which we should expect to see results?

(4). Though the pain is only slight, if not attended in time; could it lead to cell deaths making such revival of nerves impossible? If yes, what would be a normal time period by which this may happen - more than a year or so? I believed this might heal by itself in a few months time (I had also read posts here about minor internal injuries able to be healed by itself within an year or so).

I humbly request you to please go though the above details and kindly answer these questions. I'm getting restless and anxious by the day due to this and is getting IInd thoughts about any healthy sexual relationships in future.

Thank you for your advices and help here.

James Robert.

ANSWER: James:

There are not "motor nerves" in the penis.

Impossible to predict if the damage is permanent or not.  Most of the time, it slowly heals and returns to normal but this may take a year.

There is no specific remedy or aid in healing currently available.  Use of Viagra type medications might be helpful in restoring useful erections earlier and in increasing blood flow but whether or not this actually helps quicken the healing time is uncertain.

Since there is essentially no specific treatment, it's not possible to give you a time frame other than as stated above.

Thank you for your honest advices.

I just cant stop wondering if I could've still attained a full erection (atleast through the above means) if there was permanent damage to my Penis tissues?

I am also being told that increased blood circulation to the affected areas can help heal the wound faster.. Is this true at all? A few contacts are advising to do Kegel exercises for increased blood circulation.

Also, is it true that Vitamin E can help heal such wounds faster? I know Water melon, pomegranate and Garlic are rich in these VItamins.

Many Thanks for your continued assistance. Wishing you a great Christmas and a very happy New Year in store for you!

Best Regards,
James Robert.

ANSWER: James:

There is no good evidence that Kegel exercises actually help healing.  It could be argued that by straining the pelvic muscles you could actually be causing harm since we aren't sure.

There is some evidence that viagra or cialis on a regular basis may be helpful for the reasons you mentioned, but most of the evidence if from clinical cases following radical pelvic surgery which is not exactly your situation.

No good evidence for vitamin E helping either.  Doesn't mean it can't help, just that there is no good medical evidence one way to the other.

Thanks again for your honest comments and sorry for the delay with this reply.

As updated earlier, I had met a private Urologist here in London in the meantime. He had a look at my case, examined my Penis and said there is no cause of worry and he don't see any external injury whatsoever.

He also prescribed Cialis 5mg. for a month (when confirmed about loss of libido) which I am taking regularly as prescribed. I am attaining strong morning erections since then and regular random erections without much of a stimulii. He had also asked to meet after a month.

I am obviously happy here but these erections are also often followed by internal pain around exactly the same area / line where I had accidentally tightened the extender (as described earlier). It feels exactly like any bruise / minor cut caused in our arms or legs.

Hence, regardless of the temporary effects of cialis, I honestly feel there has been some kind of internal bruise  inflicted around this area - which is obviously invisible to the naked eye.

--> So is there any kind of scan / test which I can undergo to help the doctor detect this internal bruise and advise any remedies?

--> Also, I know for healing such internal injuries, abstinence from any sexual activity / masturbation are usually advised atleast for a few months - so that frequent disturbances to the healing area from erections can be minimised? If yes, by using Cialis and attaining regular erections, ain't I negating this healing process?

Thanks for your honest replies as always, Doctor. It is of great help to me.

Kind Regards,
James Robert.

While we can do an ultrasound or even an MRI of the penis, these are rarely done as there is no remedy for any scarring or internal injury that would not irreparably damage the erection mechanism.  After the initial period of healing, use of Cialis and occasional erections are thought to be helpful as they increase oxygenation and vascular flow.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute