Urology/Small Kidneys

Hello !
I recently had my blood lab work done and my internist found that my Creatinine levels were slightly elevated.  She suggested that I seek a urologist and to obtain an ultrasound which I did.  The urologist told me that both my kidneys tend to be small which is something I did not know before.  I am 53 years young and I neither smoke nor do drugs and never have.  I used to be a social drinker in the past and may have had more than my share but not for the past several years.  
Anyway, the urologist told me not to worry about it - the ultrasound showed no kidney stones nor cremations of any kind.  He did strongly suggest a diet in which I end all fast foods.....also a diet low in sodium............should I avoid alcohol as well ?  Is this something I need worry about ?  I have high cholesterol since 1999 and I take 2 statins........Tricor & Crestor.  The urologist found my prostate to be totally clear.
What exactly does this diet entail in addition to the cutting out of fast food, fried foods, and low sodium ?
Please advise as I am most concerned.  My creatinine level this last time was 1.38 !
Thanks !

I can't review details of a diet given to you by another physician.  I can, however, clarify that the experts on diets for any level of kidney functional impairment are the nephrologists rather than the urologists.

Avoiding alcohol and limiting salt intake is reasonable for health reasons.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute