Urology/Swollen testicle which comes and goes

Hello, here is the problem: I woke up last week and my right testicle was swollen and painful. I made an appointment with a doctor and went in to see him. He asked me if I had a groin injury. I had back in August, pain persisted for a month. Then I started a new work out regimen and right before the pain began, added leg lifts. Additionally, I have had a vericocele for years. Once the doctor heard groin injury, he really breezed through the rest. Then he felt of the testicles, said there was no mass. He said he felt 99.9 percent sure it was not cancer but scheduled me for an ultrasound for Friday to cover all the bases. The pain has gone, but it still swells in the night, is occasionally sensitive, and there is a slight tenderness in my abdomen. I am having a really hard time internalizing the not cancer thing, because I feel like the doctor was pretty dismissive in his bedside manner. I really didn't feel listened to and with the symptoms persisting, if significantly lessened, I am having a lot of anxiety. If he is right, what, beside cancer could be causing these symptoms? Could referred pain cause the nightly swelling?

A referred pain cannnot cause intermittent swelling.  Neither can an infection.  You probably have a hernia which would explain the intermittent nature of the problem.  Likewise, a testicular cancer would not cause intermittent swelling and is quite uncommon.  You should check with a general surgeon about the possibility of a hernia.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute