Urology/Testicular discomfort

Question
Hello Dr. Leslie,

Can you please tell me if epididymitis/orchitis can cause tenderness on the side of the testicle, rather than the back? I was diagnosed by my family physician and given 4 weeks of doxycycline (which didn't work) followed by 4 weeks of Cipro. I'm on day 10 of the Cipro and have noticed the sensitivity somewhat but noticeably lessening, sporadic in intensity, and becoming increasingly localized. I also have noticed some tingling and itching. In addition, I am suffering from symptoms of prostatitis; which I was diagnosed with by a urologist and have experienced on and off for many years. I realize that if the current tenderness and sensitivity do not subside at the end of my 4 weeks on Cipro that I should see a urologist for further investigation. However, I would appreciate your opinion based on this information because I suffer from GAD and medical anxiety on almost a phobic level. That circumstance brings on what I consider to be a self-perpetuating prostatitis. So I am wondering if this could in fact be epididymitis responding to the antibiotic, and how the prostatitis might relate. Thank you so much.

Answer
Lawrence:

The fact that there may be discomfort on the side rather than in the back of the testicle has virtually no clinical significance with regards to your epididymitis.  Prostatitis and epididymitis can be related and your urologist will explain how when you see him.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD