Urology/Tiny bit of semen

Question
Dear Dr. Goldstein,
My name is Pradeep. Yesterday, I had sex 5 times and ejaculated each time. Dont ask why.

Anyway, this morning I woke up and masturbated, but only a tiny bit of semen came out. Is this anything to worry about?

Best,
Pradeep

Answer
Pradeep, I won't ask why but good for you!  The decreased amount of semen you noted after frequent ejaculations in a relatively short interval of time is normal and, therefore, of no concern.

During sexual arousal the prostate gland & seminal vesicles manufacture fluid that accounts for the majority of the semen. The seminal vesicles are paired structures located behind the prostate gland that are also sensitive to sexual excitement.  Sperm from the testicles (which account for only 1-2 % of the semen) travel up a series of tubes (epididymis and vas deferens) on each side to join the seminal vesicles forming the paired ejaculatory ducts.  These structures empty into the prostatic portion of the urethra.  At the time of ejaculation, fluid is discharged from the prostate gland and ejaculatory ducts into the urethra (urinary canal) forming the semen.  The average semen volume is 2-6 cc.  With the inception of ejaculation, the bladder neck closes and the semen is forced forward out the urethra by contraction of the pelvic muscles.

The decreased semen volume is merely due to not allowing the prostate gland to refill adequately before ejaculating again.  Rest assured that all is well.  Good luck.

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.