Urology/3+3 T1a cancer

Question
happy new year 2013.
Dear Sir;
After frequent urination  during night (up to 6times); I have consulted a urologist who recommended a biopsy which was done in April 2011 (20months) ; the  PSA was 0.8.
The result of the biopsy  was positive, A Cancer of a grade of 3+3 , T1a.
Since then I am under active surveillance and my  PSA is stable at 0.8.
I had and infection or prostatitis due to the Biopsy in June 2011. My urologist recommends Cipro tablets for 3months but still I am urinating 5 to 6times during night and cannot seat long time on the chairs otherwise this will be painful mainly during the sleeping time in the night.

I am 57 years old, urine flow is normal and no pain during urine , no blood in the urine, the size of the prostate is normal.

Please advise on the actions to remove the pain after sitting for sometime and decrease the urine frequency during nights.
Thanks for your usual support.

Answer
Hoc:

Treating your current problems is clearly the responsibility of your local urologist.  It is unclear why the biopsy was done since there is no mention of any suspicious nodules and the PSA was low at only 0.8.

Cipro for 3 months is not unreasonable for prostatitis.

You should also avoid caffeine and hot spicy foods.  Try sitting on an air inflatable donut to minimize pressure on the prostate.  Also try sitting in a hot tub of water twice a day for 10 minutes.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD