Urology/Adult circumcision

Hello Dr. Leslie,

I am an adult male, 32 yrs old. I had a circumcision done 4 months ago due to relative phimosis. The procedure itself was uneventful, as was the early post-op period. Dissolvable stitches were used. I was instructed to refrain from all sexual activities until given clearance.

At the 7-day checkup, the dg was: Small serous prepuce secretion, th was: ciprofloxacin 500mg 2x1 for 7 days, rinse with warm chamomile tea, apply sulfadiazine cream on glans 1x daily for 7 days.

At the 4-weeks checkup, the dg was: Small serous prepuce secretion, th was: bacitracin cream 3x daily for 7 days.

At the 6-weeks checkup, the dg was: Small wound dehiscence on penis, th was: apply sulfadiazine cream on glans 2x daily for 14 days.

At the 10-weeks checkup, the dg was: wound shows significant improvement, th was: apply fibrinolysin cream 2x daily for 14 days.

This therapy was not carried out do to the manufacturer (Pfizer) stopping production of Fibrolan. Instead, solcoseryl gel was used.

At the 15-weeks checkup, the dg was: healing complete, th was: apply nivea body cream or contratubex gel for scar softening and to help dissolve subcutaneous stitching. Resume sexual activities as frequent as possible to speed up healing and scar tissue softening.

Thank you for staying with me this far, Doctor. My questions are:

1) Should I be concerned about these stitches remaining? Were they not supposed to dissolve by now?

2) Scar looks unsightly, is sensitive/painful to touch and hard lumps along the line (sutures?) are present. It looks somewhat worse than on the photos. Will this improve with time?

3) My erection is not as hard as I remember it to be because the scar line feels tight when penis is erect, like a tight ring is placed below my glans penis. I also lose erection a lot quicker than before.

Honestly, I am not very satisfied with the result, especially after reading experiences online and seeing pics of many a normal healing process.

The stiches are not remaining.  It's just scar tissue.  The scar will tend to become less sensitive and less visible over time, but there is no easy way to do this quicker and any attempt to redo the surgery will likely give a worse result.

The erections should improve as the skin heals more.

Most of thet time, there is no problem with circumcisions.  Sorry yours didn't turn out better for you.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute