Urology/Do Alpha1 blockers cause the side effect of lower abdominal pain?

Question
Hi Dr! I have been diagnosed with the bladder outlet obstruction (BOO) due to the BPH and may have chronic prostatitis. The different urologists have prescribed the Flomax, Alfuzosin and antibiotics but the Flomax and Alfuzosin caused my lower abdominal mild pain. I have to take the Ibuprofen to relieve the pain. I thought the pain was due to the chronic prostatitis because it can cause the lower abdominal pain and distention.  However, I noticed the pain went away if I stopped the Flomax or Alfuzosin, and the pain came back after I resumed the drugs. I begin to realize the mild lower abdominal pain is due to the drug but the prostatitis. Can you confirm whether the Flomax and Alfuzosin can cause the lower abdominal pain? If so, does it mean all the Alpha1-adrenergic blockers have the side effects of the lower abdominal pain? Is there alternative drugs to treat the BOO without the side effect of the lower abdominal pain? Thank you for your answer.

Answer
Ray:

It is not typical for flomax or alfuzosin to cause any abdominal pain, but your experience suggests that in your case it might.  I am also unaware orf any scientific mechanism that would explain abdominal pain caused by these agents.  Nevertheless, if they are bothering you then you probably shouldn't take them, but how they might be causing a problem is a bit of mystery as this problem has not been reported.

Alternative drugs for bladder outlet obstruction would be 5ARI type meds, but these take months to work.  For a quick response and improvement, we're stuck with the alpha blocker type meds you can't take.

Obviously, you'll need to discuss this with your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD