Urology/Catheter ablation?

QUESTION: I had an catheter ablation through the groin for heart operation cause I had wolff-parkinson-white - syndrome. Can this ablation through groin have any negative effects to penis or to the veins or arteries that are connected to penis? Or are this arteries and veins in the groin from where ablation is done connected to penis in anyway?

Your ablation procedure merely used the groin for access to the circulation system.  It would be highly unlikely that this would cause any problems with erections or other urological organs.  The main risk is localized bleeding or hematoma.

The ablation is not done from the groin.  A thin tube or catheter is passed from the groin up into the area of the heart that needs to be treated.  The actual treatment is done on the heart and there is no therapy other than the access that is done to the groin.

If you are having problems with the penis such as ED, you should check with your physician.

QUESTION: So localized bleeding or hematoma have got nothing to do with my penile function? And the groin veins/arteries are not connected to any veins/arteries of the penis?

Thanks for the answers!

A hematoma in the groin would not normally be expected to cause any penile abnormalities.  There are some connections between the groin vessels, which are quite large, and the arteries and veins that eventually drain the penis; however, there are no reported studies indicating any penile problems from groin access for cardiac or other procedures.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute