Urology/Cialis, priapism..

Question
My doctor prescribed to me Cialis 5mg in the mornings for 1-2months for prostatitis and erectile difficulties caused by post-ssri sexual dysfunction. I have a little fear that I might get priapism from using Cialis, so I have heard that if you get priapism you should take pseudoephedrin for first aid, is this correct? Is 1 Duact (60mg pseudoephedrin) enough or should I take more if something happens? Is there something else I should do for first aid in that situation? And finally can I get priapism while I'm sleeping, do I wake up if I get priapism during sleep??

Thanks a lot!

Answer
It is true that priapism can occur with cialis, but it is extremely rare.  I have never seen a case of priapism from cialis so it's not that common or likely.  Pseudoephedrin is a good first step in treatment.  If 1 or 2 tablets work, you may save yourself the trip to the ER.  If not, then go to the neearest good ER for treatment.  Priapism rarely occurs during sleep.  If it did, the pain would certainly wake you up.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD