QUESTION: Can a flexible cystoscopy be performed while a Foley catheter is in place...or is it necessary to remove the catheter and then proceed with the cystoscopy? (Female).

I had a robotic pyeloplasty. I had requested that the catheter be placed while awake prior to the surgery. In the operative report, it is stated that a cystoscopy was performed to check the stent positioning after the procedure. Nothing is mentioned about removing the catheter-yet I had one in place upon awakening. Would they remove the Foley, do the cystoscopy, and re-insert the Foley? Thank you greatly!

ANSWER: Rebecca:

A cystoscopy cannot be performed unless the catheter is removed.  It can certainly be replaced afterwards.  If you had a catheter in before the surgery and they did a cystoscopy and you woke up with a catheter, they must have removed and replaced it.  Why don't you just ask them?

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer! I had requested the Foley be placed before the surgery while I was AWAKE because I was informed that I definately would need one placed after surgery. Because they were planning on doing a cystoscopy to check stent placement, in your educated opinion, why would they agree to place the catheter before the surgery if they would remove it to do a cystoscopy? And... Should they have just informed me that it was pointless to insert the Foley pre-op, because they would just need to remove it to do a cystoscopy? Perhaps you can help me understand their thinking on this issue?

In my opinion, the only reason to place a catheter before a surgery with the patient awake when there is the intention of doing a cystoscopy anyway is because the patient is requesting or insisting on one.  There is no medical reason to do this.

Yes, they probably should have indicated it was a bit pointless to have a catheter placed prior to doing a cystoscopy.  I do not know why they did not do this.  You'll have to ask them directly.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute