Urology/Epididymal Injury

Question
Hi I have a question. I was hit downward on my testicle and it caused an injury where the testicle gets connected to the cord. I assume its the head of the epidydymis. Since there I felt felt a lot of discomfort and pain coming and going. Mostly due to leg friction but mainly after intercourse the following day. I have lived with this problem for over 8 years. I have been examined by many and did several ultrasounds that should nothing. My only guess is, it didnt heal correctly or there is a scar tissue there that always makes that area very painful and sensitive. It is always sore and painful when i touch it. Doesn't meet the symptoms of epididymitis either.  What do you think it could be? And if it did heal incorrectly, what can be done about it now and how dangerous is it to mess around with this. Lastly do you know anyone in new york who specializes in this specific problem? Thanks very much. Looking forward to your response.

Answer
John:

It sounds like an epididymal injury.  If ultrasounds are negative and it doesn't respond to anti-inflammatories, and a careful physical examination clarifies the head of the epididymis as the source of the pain, then a surgical exploration and removal of the head of the epididymis may be the only way to alleviate the discomfort.

We do not typically recommend individual urologists as this is not a referral network.  There are many, many excellent urologists in New York and your problem is relatively common to most urologists.  Ask your family physician for a referral or go to a large tertiary care university hospital Urology dept.  Be aware that you will often have treatment there actually done by residents.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD