Urology/erection problem

QUESTION: hi I need some help with erection problems all my life since the age of 7 or 8 have been masturbating with a soft penis by rubbing it with my hands while in a prone position. I fear this has damaged my penis as I struggle to get proper erections, when I do I am not sure if they are proper erections or just semi erections there. Sometimes in the morning or in the night i do get erections but not sure if they are full erections. Seem like semis.

I have read on a site on the internet I just need to keep masturbating the correct way now and sensitivity will restore in my penis. This does help me get some kind of a erection but lose it quite fast. My biggest fear is venous leak I keep googling it and reading other peoples stories and fear I might have damaged my penis as well with this style of masturbation. Would love to hear what you think

many thanks

You may or may not have venous leak, but I rather doubt it.  Most men who think they have venous leak actually don't.  Even if you did, we still need to treat it.  

WHile anything is possible, it is unlikelyt hat you caused this problem from masturbation even if done prone.

If the  erections are not sufficiently rigid for penetration, then you will need to seek help from your regular physician or consider consulting a local urologist.

QUESTION: thanks for the response I do have a appointment with a urologist next week, the only thing i keep thinking in my head is all them years of masturbating prone with a soft penis might have damaged a nerve. Or is it harder to damamge nerves then that?

many thanks

While there are some reports suggesting that prone masturbation may cause some problems, I have not seen it and I do not personally believe it.  Even if true, the mechanism is unclear since much sexual intercourse takes place with the male prone and besides, it makes little difference at this point.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute