Urology/hematospermia with avodart

good morning, i am a 48 yo man and have been taking propecia and then avodart for hair loss since over 10 years. ( last 6 years on avodart).
I am experiencing hematospermia on and off when on the medication... and funny enough, no symptom when i take a break from the medication.
I read from different blogs that avodart is actually the recommended treatment for hematospermia. I am curious because in my case it seems to be the actual cause (or at least related to symptom).
I wanted to ask you if you had heard of similar symptoms from other patients ?
Would recommend other actions in my case ? change of medication or may be laser surgery ?
I would like to hear more about that laser procedure and would consider it if appropriate.

many thanks

There is no scientific explanation for hematospermia that is associated with avodart.  As you mentioned, we use Avodart as one of the therapies for hematospermia.

Since hematospermia is not dangerous and tends to be self-limited, we usually just ignore it.  If it remains for 3 months or more, then we might consider looking into it.  

There is no role for laser surgery for hematospermia.  The bleeding that occurs in hematospermia is inside the seminal vesicles.  There is no access to this area for surgery without a major open procedure that is typically done only for known prostate cancers.

If you are being told this, please seek another opinion.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute