Urology/IC exam for low-income

Question
Hello, Doctor...
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend (true - not me).  
I believe, based on her symptoms, she very well could have IC.  Due to the fact she is low-income and can only go to certain clinics, she can't get adequate financial / referral help to see a specialist.  Any urine tests have been negative for bladder infection.  This has been going on quite some time.  
I am not sure if urethritis has been ruled out, but I believe so, as well as other gynecological
possibilities.  Do you know how someone in this position can get an exam with low-income?
Apparently she can't even find sliding scale physicians (urologists).  She is in a lot of pain, has tried Prelief, dietary changes, etc.  I personally feel an exam inside the bladder is needed, but again, the cost.  
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Answer
Donna:

Your issue is cost, not medical.  Interstitial cystitis is a very difficult problem to diagnose and treat.  There is no single, specific diagnostic test that confirms it.  How to obtain urological services for low income is a problem.  Start by looking for university urology training programs.  They will often have resident clinics and working up a difficult problem like this is a good educational exercise for new urologists.  There may be some other free clinics or federal assisted facilities that can offer some assistance.  

Next try your county and state medical societies.  They may know of other resources available.  Check with the local urological association; in your city and the state organization.  Good luck.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD