You are here:

Urology/Irritated urethral opening



I am a 31 year old married man. In November I first felt unwell with nocturia and urinary frequency. I was treated for a UTI with Trimethoprim. The symptoms subsided a little, but not much. The doctor then said he thought it was Prostatitis and gave me Ciprofloxacin. I took this for a couple of days before having an allergic reaction and stopped the medicine. At this point the nocturia and urinary frequency symptoms had all but disappeared.

However, by now I had noticed a red rash develop around my pee hole. Worried, in December I went to an STI clinic to check myself out. I was all clear for that, but they found evidence of Non-Specific Urethritis and treated me with Zithromax.

Again, the symptoms cleared up a little over Christmas. The redness was still there, but it wasn't sore.

For the last couple of weeks, however, I have felt extremely sore around the pee hole. It stings for a couple of hours after urinating. When I finish urinating there is excess dribbling which I have to dry off. Even when I haven't urinated (and I check my penis before urinating) I find I can see a clear liquid bubbling up under and through the pee hole. I am unsure whether this is urine or something else? It feels like there is an irritation in my urethra.

I have gone back to my doctor and he has put me back on Trimethoprim for 28 days. He has also agreed to send me for an Ultrasound scan of my prostate, urinary tract and scrotum. I am yet to have the scan but should do in the next two weeks.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be? I don't have problems with urinary frequency, with starting to urinate, etc. It's just this bright red area around the pee hole, with raised puffy lips, which is sore and gets worse with urinating. And the fact I can see and sense fluid directly below the pee hole?

I'm beginning to lose all hope an answer will ever be found.


I can't determine for sure what the problem is from your description.  You have had several treatments for urinary tract infections and STD's without much lasting help.  It could be an unusual type infection or yeast but it could also be something else causing the inflammation such as an allergy.  I would consult with a urologist or get another opinion.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.