Urology/ligament injury

Question
Hello Doctor Leslie,

I talked to you a couple weeks ago about my ligament injury and I forgot that I had a few more ideas to discuss with you. I can't thank you enough for all your help, you have been a life saver.

1. The stiffness that is present when flaccid, is that similar to joint stiffness after experiencing a sprained ankle. Is the only difference in a penile ligament injury that the joint is your penis so that is the reason it becomes stiff?

2.My erections have improved as I previously mentioned, but they feel denser or weightier than before my injury. Is this something that will go away as the stiffness dissipates?

Thanks again for all your help, its much appreciated.

Answer
Jim:

Joint stiffness relates to a specific anatomical joint and the surrounding ligaments.  There are no ligaments inside the penis; only around the base.  There are no bones, no joints and no joint space so the reasons are different.  The penis becomes hard due to an influx of blood and increased hydrostatic pressure in an enclosed area.  This is obviously not the same process that occurs in joionts.

I cannot say whether or not your sensation related to erections will change or improve over time.  Most of the time, these do tend to improve slowly but there is no guarantee.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD