Urology/ligament therapy

Question
Hello doctor Leslie, I'm 22 years old and I injured the ligaments at the base of my penis 2 and a half months ago but have improved a lot since then. My question has to do with the therapy involved to make sure the ligament heals in the strongest possible manner.

In other ligament injuries such as the ankle, doctors recommend you exercise it to help the remodeling of the scar tissue with the other ligament fibers. I have read that this remodeling phase begins at 6 weeks and lasts up to a year.

As I am now in the remodeling phase at 2.5 months, should I be trying to get erections daily for a certain amount of time to help strengthen the ligament and aid in the remodeling of the fibers, or does it matter? I want to make sure that the ligament heals fully with all the strength that it had pre-injury. Thank you so much for your input Dr. Leslie.

Answer
Chad:
There is no data on your question so we have to look at what information is avaiable.  The purpose of these ligaments in the pelvis is stabilization.  The penis is not a joint so it does not respond the same way an arm or leg would.  It is not likely that using erections is going to influence healing significantly.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD