Urology/ligament therapy

Hello doctor Leslie, I'm 22 years old and I injured the ligaments at the base of my penis 2 and a half months ago but have improved a lot since then. My question has to do with the therapy involved to make sure the ligament heals in the strongest possible manner.

In other ligament injuries such as the ankle, doctors recommend you exercise it to help the remodeling of the scar tissue with the other ligament fibers. I have read that this remodeling phase begins at 6 weeks and lasts up to a year.

As I am now in the remodeling phase at 2.5 months, should I be trying to get erections daily for a certain amount of time to help strengthen the ligament and aid in the remodeling of the fibers, or does it matter? I want to make sure that the ligament heals fully with all the strength that it had pre-injury. Thank you so much for your input Dr. Leslie.

There is no data on your question so we have to look at what information is avaiable.  The purpose of these ligaments in the pelvis is stabilization.  The penis is not a joint so it does not respond the same way an arm or leg would.  It is not likely that using erections is going to influence healing significantly.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute