Urology/pain in penis

Question
I am a 48 year old male. I have now had annoying and constant pain in my penis for a week. Particularly, at the tip of the penis. No groin or Scrotum pain. It feels like burning and pressure all the time--tingling. I feel like I have to go all the time and very little if any urine comes. I have no pain at ejaculation. I went to the Doctor and they checked urine and it is not a tract infection or an STD. They are sending the Urine out for culture and those results are not back yet. They gave me Cipro and after two days there is no relief--its worse. I have no fever, no other symptoms. No back pain or Kidney pain. The doctor also checked my prostate and said they felt no nodules or swelling. I recently had blood work and my sugar was 105. Higher than its ever been but I did have a coffee with cream before I had the blood work done-my bad. My cholesterol is in check after 8 months on Lipitor and I have low blood pressure-not high. My condition worsens when I am lifting( shoveling snow). I have no other symptoms of a hernia. My PSA tests have been relatively normal for years.

I am looking for some answer on what I am suffering from. I have a high tolerance for pain but this is starting to annoy me all day.

Answer
David:

Prostatitis is the most common cause for penile pain such as you've described.  I would advise continuing the cipro, avoiding caffeine and try sitting in a hot tub for 10 minutes twice a day.  Also, take one Aleve twice a day as an anti-inflammatory.  You may want to make an appointment with a urologist if things don't get better soon.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD