Urology/Peyronies/prostatitis

Question
I really need an opinion. I've been to many, many Drs. about this. About three years ago, I got an ache in my penis and perennium after some prolonged sex. It went away after a week.  About a month later, I redeveloped the pain, which lasted for a year. Doctors were all over the place: early peyronies, prostatitis, pinched nerve, etc. I never developed a curvature or anything besides pain. It went away after a year. Then, about a week ago, it came back. Now I'm obsessing again.

Is it another bout of peyronies? I've heard that it can go away without curvature and then come back and cause deformity years later. Or is it my prostate? My urinalyses are always normal. Flomax and Cipro do nothing.

My symptoms are a variety of pains, usually dull aches, in the shaft, under the internal shaft behind the testes, and at the very base in the perennium. Also, I get that full, golf ball in my perennium feeling when I sit. Could PD cause this or is that only the prostate?

The pain is present flaccid and erect, both before and after ejaculation. But post ejaculation can be painful in the lower penis, behind the testes. It can also be a little more irritating with an erection.

I'd like someone to sort through these symptoms and help me reason why it could be one or the other. Am I getting continual bouts of Peyronies, or of prostatitis?

Thanks.

Answer
James:

Obviously I can't solve your complicated problem from here when all of your other physicians have failed to do so.  Peyronie's can wax and wane but that is relatively uncommon.  Prostatitis can certainly be present even with normal urinalyses.  Your symptoms suggest prostatitis, but depending on the nature, location and severity it would not be impossible for Peyronie's to do this but far less likely.  My guess from your description would be prostatitis.  Now check with your physicians to see what they think.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD