Urology/Prostate/Kidney Stone

Question
I passed my first kidney stone about a month ago.   I am still taking Flomax, but have cut my dosage back to about every 3rd day instead of daily.    I was having some dizziness problems, dry mouth, and ejaculation problems.    They seem to be better on this new regime.   Is it ok to continue this program, since my prescription was for the ureter expansion and to downsize an enlarged prostate to help the peeing problem.   I think the peeing problem was due to the stone because I am having little problem after passing it.   I am 66 yrs old and I still have to get up once almost every night to pee.  Also, is there anything I should be eliminating from my diet to not have another stone...some say tea, i don't know....thanks for you help.
Cheers,
Jim

Answer
Jim:

Flomax will help both passing of stones and urination by relaxing tension in the prostate.  If you are getting into some side effects from the flomax, then you should ask your physician about switching to something else.  

If you were given the flomax for a voiding issue, then you will probably still need something because the benefits of the flomax wear off after you stop taking it.

To identify reliably the causes of your stone, we would need to know the chemical stone composition and get a 24 hour urine test for kidney stone prevention analysis.  Then you have to find a physician who is skillied in the analysis and evaluation of this information which is pretty complicated.

In general, we ask kidney stone formers to eat less salt and meat (beef, pork, poultry, fish) as well as cut back on any high oxalate foods like spinach, green leafy vegetables, nuts and chocolate.  24 hour urine volume should be up around 2000 ml per day (most people do about 1300-1500 ml).  

For any more specific advice, the 24 hour urine test would need to be done.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD