Urology/Question

Question
Hello my name is Dean and I recently discovered that I might have testicular torsion.I done some research and find out that I'm going have surgery done in order to save or remove my testicle, though it bother's me that I could be possible be losing one of my testicle's, my main concern actually is. Sense I Have to have the testicular torsion surgery how much will something like that cost with me not having insurance and can i work out a payment plan to pay for the surgery overtime? Please let me know as soon as possible and Thank You.

Answer
Dean:

An acute torsion is a surgical emergency and is usually done on an urgent basis.  Some men have intermittent torsion which allows for elective surgery.

There is no way I can give you a cost estimate about any surgery, especially one done in another state.  Talk to your surgeon about the cost and remember that often there are several charges: one for the surgeon, one for the hospital and sometimes one for anesthesia.  Work out a deal with all of them before your surgery if you can.  Remember that most insurances do not pain the full price that is initially asked so offer to pay what Medicare or Blue Cross would otherwise pay.  This is typically about 1/3 less than the asking price.  A sizeable down payment before surgery can often be a good way to get a lower total price.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD