Urology/Red colored Urine

Question
Dear Sir,

I am man aging 36. I have been facing this problem since last 8 days, when I first noticed few drops of red urine after urination, with a feel that my penis was pulling the last few drops back, followed by 2-3 red colored urination. After that, I had a lot of water around 7-8 glasses with in next 1 hour, during this time I urinate alot say after every 15-20 minutes, but the red colored urine has cleared to normal now.

Next day, I visited our General Physician, he asked me for a urine test, which was absolutely normal with no RBC, 2-3 hpf of pus cells, no bacteria. He suggested me to have Di Sodium Hydrogen Citrate syrup 2 spoons in a glass of water once a day.

For the next 2-3 days, I had around 5-6 Ltr. water a day and Urinate alot, during this time everything was normal. After 2-3 days I reduced the intake of water to normal. In next 24 hours, there was again a feeling of my penis was pulling the last few drops back and then I again saw few slight red colored drops at the end of urination. After that I start drinking alot of water again, and symptom again disappear.

I am totally confused. Pls. help.

Mano

Answer
Mano:

You need to consult with a urology specialist.  The red color is probably blood and it's important to make sure that the blood is not from anything potentially dangerous.  Most of the time, its some inflammation or enlargement of the prostate but it could also be from something potentially more serious like a tumor or a stone.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD