You are here:

Urology/Red rash on penis glans


Glans rash
Glans rash  

Glans rash2
Glans rash2  
Hello, I am 42, not circumcised, am in a monogamous relationship, and both her and I have not had sex with anyone else for many years. Occasionally, after sex, I get this red rash/spots/bumps on the glans of my penis.  They do not hurt or sting in any way, and they usually go away after a day or so. They don't affect any other area of my penis, they don't appear on the shaft or foreskin, only the glans. It doesn't happen all the time, in fact it's only once in a while.  Usually after oral sex. But I am curious about what could be causing this.
Are they anything I should be concerned with?  I have put neosporin on it occasionally when it happens.


The most common cause of a red rash on the penis or glans is a yeast infection.  I can't tell from the pictures if this is likely to be a yeast infection or not.  If so, then neosporin would not work.

Have your regular physician check it out.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.