I feel like my life is over.  I've had constant rigidity for 40%+ years, and now I have nothing.  How can this have happened?  I'm in great shape otherwise, never been a drunk or done drugs, kept my head about things.  Now suddenly nothing?  It's funny. I even went to a urologist who did some kind of penile vascular test.  Viagra shots, a discovery I had Peyrone's and a suggestion that I get some calcium removed.  I never got a chance to talk with him once the test was over--apparently too famous to bother with me. My supposed erection from the viagra shot wouldn't go away.  We waited and waited and then I got a shot so the erection would  go away.  The only problem was the erection wasn't rigid enough to be of any actual use, were a situation available.
I can't seem to figure out whether this is a death sentence or not.  Can you give me some sort of general information?  Maybe something like what % of guys simply lose all rigidity.  I've been frantic for too long. I had the richest life of anyone I knew; now I feel like a floundering eunuch.

The shot was not Viagra.  It doesn't work when given by a shot.  The injection was either papaverine or a combination including papaverine.  If the shot worked that well, you might be a candidate for injection therapy.  

This is not a death sentence, but it may take some work to get the erections working well enough to use.  You may have peyronie's, calcium deposits or some other problem.  

Erection problems involve roughly half of all men at some point but are more common in diabetics.  

At this point, my best suggestion is to get a copy of all your records from your urllogist and get a second opinion from another physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute