You are here:

Urology/shrivled no blood flow penis


Dr. Leslie,
Background info:
I am a 49 year old male, married 25 years with an active sex life with my wife.  About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with enlarged prostate (BPH) as a result of frequent urination, and placed on Flomax (which was switched to the generic tamsulosin).  This treatment was effective in greatly reducing my need to go to urinate frequently.  A general practitioner placed me on this medicine.  
I was sent to a urologist for a follow up, which conducted a "pee study" having me document quantities and times for what I drank vs the frequency of my urination.  Afterwards they gave me a test where they placed a tube in my penis and another in my anus and filled me with liquids to test my bladder.  The results from all of my tests are bladder normal, blood pressure normal, cholesterol normal, prostate not cancerous.

My Issue:
As of about 45 days ago I noticed that my erections were about 1/2 of what they had been.  This has now progressed to no erections at all - at any time.  My penis is limp and only about 1 inch long and about the size of a quarter in width.  Even when I urinate it stays limp and if i try to stimulate it it does barely reacts.  I also cannot use my muscles to "lift" it.  It is simply limp and I can barely tell that its there.  If I squeeze it I can feel pain however, so it is not numb.  

It appears that there is no blood flowing into it at all, and for some reason I cannot make it become erect.

I appreciate the service that you provide.  Please provide any information that would be pertinent and also places or practitioners that I should visit, as well as procedures that I should have.  I am in the Michigan area between Detroit and Ann Arbor.



You have BPH or prostate enlargement which has been properly evaluated and treated.

You also have standard erectile dysfunction or ED.  You should contact your urologist and ask for an appointment to deal with this new problem.  It is not related to your prostate issue.  Typical treatment often starts with something like Viagra which increases blood flow to the penis and should work well for you.  Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.