Urology/straddle injury to urethra

Question
I recently suffered a straddle injury to my urethra which later caused blood to squirt out my penis after urinating, I have been to hospital overnight for observation with no more bleeding and clear urine, I was given antibiotics and released. how was the bleeding caused how long will a tear or burst blood vessel take to heal, what should I do/not do for the 1st week recovery

Answer
Walter:

The bleeding was caused by the fall and some damage was done to the urethra and possibly to the prostate.  Healing will depend on the exact nature and severity of the injury which cannot be determined from the given information.  I would strongly suggest that you consult with a urologist to see what followup examinations if any need to be done.  For example, a retrograde urethrogram, a type of x-ray, can be done later to make sure no significant scarring or damage remains.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD