Urology/About the Urelle,Flavoxate and Anticholinergic in treating the bladder discomfort

QUESTION: I have chronic prostatitis and bladder outlet obstruction (BBO) due to the infection and mildly BPH. It causes my bladder bloating and pressure though I have already taken the antibiotics and alpha 1-blockers Flomax. The bladder pain especially gets worse after the urinating and bothers my sleep. I read the Urelle can relieve the bladder discomfort. I also learned the other medications such as Flavoxate and Anticholinergic drugs can treat the bladder discomfort too. I do not know which medication is better to treat the bladder discomfort due the prostatitis and BOO. Can you explain the difference among those medications? Thank you for your answer.

ANSWER: Randy:

All of the medications you've mentioned are designed to relax bladder spasms and extra contractions.  They are typically used for urinary frequency and urgency but are not usually used until or unless the urinary flow is adequate.  There are quite a number of such OAB drugs, far too many to go into here.  Suffice it to say that they all are similar but vary in how often they must be taken, side effects and cost.  Your physician will consider these things in deciding which of these meds will work best for you.

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer. My urinary flow is adequate. I do not understand the relationship between the bladder spasms and urinary urgency. You said the medications I mentioned are to relax the bladder spasms and they are typically used for the urinary urgency. I do feel the bladder pain or cramp in the pubic area after urinating but no urinary urgency. Is such a bladder pain and cramp considered the bladder spasms? Can the bladder spasms occur without the urinary urgency?

What you described would not be considered a typical bladder spasm.  Bladder spasms involve the sudden, unwanted and uncontrolled sudden urge to urinate.  Without the urgency, it's not a bladder spasm.  A feeling of constantly needing to urinate could be one reason to use these types of medications.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute