Urology/Bladder Wall thickening

Question
I had bladder cancer when I was 24 year's old.  I did the normal routines of cysto's etc.  I am now 59 years old and recently have been having problem's having a bowel movement.  I just had a cat scan and it was determined my bladder wall is thickening.  There is no signs of any tumors any where, only the bladder wall thickened.  I have not lost weight, no fevers but I am tired quite frequently, although I do work a lot of hours.

The bowel issue has been going on for about 2 months.  I normally wake one time during the night to pass urine as well.  I wouldn't say I am incontinent however it does happen every now and then.  For a while, my urine was dark in color and had a foul smell although this has cleared.  I normally drink 1/2 gallon or more of water daily and do drink cranberry juice quite often.

I am also a smoker, which I know I should quit, but if this turns out to be an issue, should I have my bladder removed due to my previous history?  What are the odds of the bladder wall thickening actually being cancer?

I am scheduled for a cysto with-in a week or so.

Answer
Bladder wall thickening is rarely dangerous but it can indicate overwork such as prostate issues.  Smoking with your history of bladder cancer at an early age is very dangerous.  Until the cystoscopy, it's premature to consider bladder removal, but you should immediately stop smoking immediately

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD