Urology/Bladder Wall thickening

I had bladder cancer when I was 24 year's old.  I did the normal routines of cysto's etc.  I am now 59 years old and recently have been having problem's having a bowel movement.  I just had a cat scan and it was determined my bladder wall is thickening.  There is no signs of any tumors any where, only the bladder wall thickened.  I have not lost weight, no fevers but I am tired quite frequently, although I do work a lot of hours.

The bowel issue has been going on for about 2 months.  I normally wake one time during the night to pass urine as well.  I wouldn't say I am incontinent however it does happen every now and then.  For a while, my urine was dark in color and had a foul smell although this has cleared.  I normally drink 1/2 gallon or more of water daily and do drink cranberry juice quite often.

I am also a smoker, which I know I should quit, but if this turns out to be an issue, should I have my bladder removed due to my previous history?  What are the odds of the bladder wall thickening actually being cancer?

I am scheduled for a cysto with-in a week or so.

Bladder wall thickening is rarely dangerous but it can indicate overwork such as prostate issues.  Smoking with your history of bladder cancer at an early age is very dangerous.  Until the cystoscopy, it's premature to consider bladder removal, but you should immediately stop smoking immediately

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute