Urology/blood filled spot at tip of penis

Thank you for your availability. I have had a red spot at the tip of my penis for years and have actually tried to remove it myself years ago with alot of blood and with no success. I have been seen by a urologist years ago as well, they said it really was nothing, I can have it removed by a lazer or just live with it. Several years forward, I have been having a higher amount of sex with my wife than normal and having intense hard orgasms. I have noticed the red bump has swollen and has changed to a dark purple in color. It also feels like I have a a sharp point stabbing at the bump at the tip and it also is sensitive. I am worried that my continued lucky streak with my wife might cause further swelling until a rupture of the blood vessel, assuming that is what it is. Can you please provide me with some insight of what it can be based on the information provided?

I can't tell you what the red spot is, but if it's been there for years and the urologist you saw said it was nothing, then it's probably nothing serious and you should probably leave it alone.  A laser treatment to remove it is possible if you wish.  the change in color suggests that it's vascular.  Typically, sexual activity makes very little difference to superficial vascular lesions such as this appears to be, but there is always the risk it could bleed.  You'll need to see a local urologist for more specifics.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute