Urology/Blood in urine

Question
Hi Dr Stephen, i first knew i had blood in the urine when one day i did alot of crunches and stomach exercises. When i wanted to pee the right side of my pelvis ached. Sometimes the pain was at the front at the right side. I went to see dr checked my urine and found blood was present but cannot be seen with naked eyes. I went to hospital to check they asked to me to send samples of my first urine in the morning for 2 or 3 days which i cant remember. Tests came back negative. They did ct scan as well as renal check. They did ultrasound as well but all came back negative. I had ovarian cyst and had surgery in 1997 to remove it. and in 1998 gave birth to my son via c section and daughter in 2001 also c section. I also had endoscopy and colonscopy done. What do you think might be the problem? What does it means if near belly button right side not comfortable if after exercise? But not not all the time. Can doing too many crunches cause this? I remember when my son was almosst a year old i also did alot of crunches. Sorry for my bad english dr. I appreciate your help and thank you so much in advance.

Answer
Qristy:

You have unexplained blood in the urine.  This typically requires a CT scan of the kidneys, a urine cytology test and a cystoscopy (look into the bladder with a scope).  An ultrasound is helpful but not as definitive as the CT for looking inside the kidneys for any lesions.

As far as you discomfort after exercise, it probably has nothing to do with the kidneys and you'll need to check with your local general physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD