Hi Dr,

My father (90 years old) just returned from his urolodist with paper work that diagnosed him with "596 BNO" and 599.71 Gross Hematuria.  Please explain what these mean.  Thanks.

Rick O'Steen

Rick, 596 BNO is the ICD code for "other disorders of the bladder".  This is a non-specific code which can apply to any number of bladder disorders.  The code 599.71 is the ICD code for "gross hematuria".  The latter means that the urine passed by your father was obviously bloody (as opposed to microscopic hematuria where blood is seen in the urine only under the microscope.   There are any number of diseases of the urinary tract that could be represented by these codes.   I suggest that you talk to his urologist about what is going on.  If I can be of further help, let me know.  Good luck.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS