Urology/Cramping in the prostate

Dear sirs, for some time now I have been getting cramps in my prostate, these cramps can come and go at any time,the pain is so bad that I tend to sit on a table edge or chair forcing pressure on my prostate which which gives relief until the pain killers kick in, I find my sex life is good I have no blood in my urine or stools and I have never had any gay sex,I do suffer from low back ache and have done for some time now and find this pain more in my hip,I have spoken to my gp who suggested it was my posture,I am a 42 year old male and active

Since the prostate is a gland and not a muscle, technically it can't "cramp" although  muscles around it can.  This could indicate spasms of the pelvic muscles or prostatitis.  You should check with a general surgeon or urologist to determine a more precise diagnosis and treatment.  Meanwhile, try sitting in a hot tub twice a day as that usually helps.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute