Urology/Dull ache after Bilateral Orchiectomy

Question
Dr. Leslie,

I had a Bilateral Orchiectomy on my right testicle in May of 2013. I elected to have a scrotal implant inserted at the same time. Over the past few days I am feeling a dull ache on the right side of my groin where the bilateral Orchiectomy was performed.It almost feels like it is orginating from the prosthetic or somewhere underneath it in the scrotum. I am not sure if this is phantom pain as for the past 5 months I was not experiencing any discomfort until now. Thank you.

Answer
Paul:

A bilateral orchiectomy means that both testicles were removed and not just the right side.  The reason for the surgery wasn't mentioned.

It is not possible to determine the cause of your pain from the limited information provided.  Possible sources of pain include infection, granuloma formation, phantom pain from a cut nerve, hernias, etc.  You will need to check with your local physician to determine what may be going on in your particular case.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD