Urology/Dull ache after Bilateral Orchiectomy

Dr. Leslie,

I had a Bilateral Orchiectomy on my right testicle in May of 2013. I elected to have a scrotal implant inserted at the same time. Over the past few days I am feeling a dull ache on the right side of my groin where the bilateral Orchiectomy was performed.It almost feels like it is orginating from the prosthetic or somewhere underneath it in the scrotum. I am not sure if this is phantom pain as for the past 5 months I was not experiencing any discomfort until now. Thank you.

A bilateral orchiectomy means that both testicles were removed and not just the right side.  The reason for the surgery wasn't mentioned.

It is not possible to determine the cause of your pain from the limited information provided.  Possible sources of pain include infection, granuloma formation, phantom pain from a cut nerve, hernias, etc.  You will need to check with your local physician to determine what may be going on in your particular case.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute