I have been asked to get an ultrasound scan of my testicles due to the discomfort I have been experiencing. My concern is that the scan will probably come back normal and the pain will continue and they will simply tell me they can do no more.

How long can epididymitis last? the pain has been going on for a few weeks now. It appeared to be getting better but then it just went bad again. Also at first it was just the right testicle and now its both. Does this give any clue as to what is going on? does epididymitis go from one to the other testicle?

It seems to me that it is some sort of infection. But how is it possible to get epididimitis without being sexually active?

what other tests can be done to at least find out the cause of this pain Im experiencing?

I dont even know what I am dealing with or what treatment there is.

Epididymitis can become chronic and last for weeks or months.  It heals with scar tissue which can leave lingering discomfort.

Epididymitis does not typically go from one testicle to the other, but if there is prostatitis as well then both can be affected.

Epididymitis can occur without sexual activity.

A digital rectal exam can check the prostate, but ultrasound is the best way to diagnose ongoing testicle problems.

For now, follow your physician's advice and get the ultrasound.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute