Urology/Manually induced long-term erections

Question
Hi Doctor,

I was reading about the consequences of the now-well known four-hour erection effect that ED drugs can have. Scary stuff. My question is, do the dangers of ED drug-caused priapism also apply to the act of purposely having an erection for a period longer than four hours, in other words, stimulating the penis for a long time and delaying ejaculation without the use of drugs? This means potentially having a four-hour erection, but one that would go away normally if stimulation were to stop. If not, then are there any other dangers to doing this?

Thank you for your information,
Marco

Answer
Marco:

Under normal circumstances, it is not possible to maintain a full erection for 4 hours.  About 30 minutes is the maximum and then it will diminish as the tissues need the reduction.  Only in abnormal situations does the full, 100% rigid erection last 4 hours or longer.

The dangers of markedly prolonged and continuous erections are decreased blood flow and oxygen loss to the tissues resulting in scarring and loss of erection function.  WHile this can happen from Viagra and similar meds, it's quite uncommon if the meds are used correctly.

You can look this up on the Internet under the name "Priapism".  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD