Urology/To Need Help

Question
Hello sir. From past few months i have burning in urine and took antibiotics to overcome it. But still some kind of unknown infection in my urine still exist. I went to Nephrologist who advised me to have an ultrasound kub. Its report says Urinary Bladder shows moving echoes in it suggestive of cystitis. What does it means ? Please help me out. What kind of infection it could be ? Aur what does it means by cystitis? What could be the possible treatments?Hope to receive a detailed reply from you. Thanku :)""

Answer
It is all about the urine.  A KUB tells you absolutely nothing unless a bladder stone happens to be seen (very rare).  An ultrasound is NOT an appropriate test to evaluate the bladder for infection/cystitis.   When a man (or woman) has burning with urination, the next step is not to give antibiotics just because there is burning.  Then next step is to first check the urine with a urinalysis (and if a urine infection is suggested, a urine culture).  This is the best and appropriate test to diagnose a urine infection.  Then, if an infection is noted, antibiotics are given and testing may be indicated after treatment to look for an underlying cause.  Your question never mentions that a urinalysis was ever done.  You say an unknown infection still exists, but that does not make sense to me. If a urinalysis suggests an infection, it can be sent to a laboratory for a "culture" a test that identifies the bacteria, and what antibiotics effectively treat the infection.  I am at a disadvantage as l am not able to have an in-person discussion with you or examine you or look at your urine, but I hope this information was helpful.  Best of luck!

Urology

Joel Gelman, M.D.