Urology/penis pain only during erection

I am 45 years old and for the last 2-3 months have had pain in the head of my penis every time it is erect. Very annoying, and I think its getting slightly worse.
I've looked a lot online and have not found anything that sounds like what I have.

The pain only happens when my penis is fairly hard and stops when penis is no longer erect.
No difference in the look or feel of the penis (no lumps, sores, bends, etc) Everything seems normal.
No difference in quality of erection.
Not from overuse and no injury that I can recall.
The pain is inside the head, not on the surface.
No pain while urinating, no symptoms of any STD (monogamous for 10+ years)
I am circumcised.

Any Ideas?

Assuming there is no prostatitis, my best guess would be Peyronie's where they may be a plaque hidden underneath the head of the penis.  See what your local urologist thinks.  It may be worth an ultrasound exam of the penis to find out for sure.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute