QUESTION: Dear dr I had a left orchiectomy for chronic pain two months ago. One month before the surgery I had a prostatitis flare but it was gone within a month ive had his before. One hour after the surgery it was really hard to pee I had to push really hard. Within two days my other testicle started to hurt and it hasn't stopped. My uro said it is unusual for this to happen after surgery but it did. In on celebrex Bactrim and flomax. Is it possible for inflammation from the operation to do this and why is it hard to get rid of this it's been two months and is there anything u would reccomened Thanks

The anesthetic from the surgery can make it temporarily harder to void.  I suspect that the extra straining may have caused the other testicle to flare up.  Prostatitis is notoriously hard to get rid of in some people.  you are on reasonable treatment for it, but might consider avoidance of caffeine and alcohol.  Also, try a hot sitz bath.  These almost always seem to help.

QUESTION: Thanks dr can u explain how the straining would do that. I also forgot to mention that I had a really bad pain in my rectum. It seems to be going away now. But my right testicle is excruciating is there anything else that could be going on or do u think time will heal it.

I can't say if time will heal it or not, but since the pain is that bad you should consult a physician.

straining can cause muscle injury or reflux where fluids from the prostate or urethra enter the prostatic ducts causing them to become inflamed.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute