Urology/Swelling of vain of penis and scrotum with fever

Question
My father is 52 years old. No diabetes and hypertension. But he has piles and high ESR in blood. He had several small injury while motor cycle accident. His leg was injured but not severe. It was cured within couple of weeks. Just trauma. He is healthy. But 1 year ago he was encountered with sudden swelling of the vain of penis and scrotum with fever. In addition he has swelling of the vain of the left iliac region. He has moderate pain. In that time antibiotic was prescribed and after the course all the symptoms and pain were gone. But after 6 months it appeared again then another course of antibiotic was prescribed. It was gone again. But it appeared again after 3-4 months. We have performed urinalysis, blood test and ultrasonography of the whole abdomen. Everything is in perfect shape and no sign of infection. He has no problem in urination and according to ultrasonography his prostate is in perfect shape and size. But at present those symptoms are present with swelling. Antibiotic course is running but it is not going quickly like previous. My concern is why it is going after treatment and appearing again after couple of months? This problem is appearing more frequently than previous time. Is there any serve complications? This time his pain is severe than previous time. Do we need some more tests? Please give suggestions.

Answer
Rashad:

My guess is that the problem is not with the vein in the penis but deeper in the veins of the pelvis.  Scrotal swelling with fever certainly suggests a testicular or scrotal infection.  Specific medical advice is beyond what we can do here, so he'll need to check with his local physicians.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD