Urology/testicular atrophy

Question
Dear Dr.
I am 33 years old and when I was 14 I had a left hernia repair. After that time I noticed that my left testicle is small and located in the inguinal canal. As there was no pain or discomfort I ignored it until 2 years ago. 2 years ago I underwent left orchidopexy surgery. Now I feel that my right testicle (the normal side)is diminished in size compared to before surgery. I had normal semen analysis  about 3 months ago.I want to know:
1.the reason of decrease in right testicle size.
2.is it possible to determine that the my atrophied left testicle is functional or not?

Answer
Aref:

The reason for the decrease of the right testicle is not clear from the available information, but in general testicles shrink when their blood supply is compromised, they get infected or suffer some other injury.

There is no easy way to tell if the left atrophic testicle is functional.  A biopsy can be done to see if it is making any sperm, but there is no other way to tell if it is making male hormone or not.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD