Urology/Update

Question
Hi I have written you many times about myself. I am the one that has not been able to pee in 6 years. I had this problem at the age of 15 and now I am 21. I wanted to share my story with you and maybe some others. I was in a car accident when I was 15 I had pelvic doctor look at me a month ago he did a urodynamics. I could not pee. He filled my bladder up as full as he could he also tok pictures of the bladder while it was filling up. From the testing he said that my bladder had stopped working. He said he thinks it could have been from the car crash a few years ago. He came up with a wonderful idea. He said I could cath the rest of my life which I have done before and was not going to do anymore. He said the medicine was not working so that was out his next suggestion was a bladder pacemaker. I was not wanting to do it. But I went through the first surgery. It was the best move. I could pee again like I could 6 years ago. It was a full stream. I had wires sticking out of my back on the first surgery if anyone wants to know and it connects to a device. I went through the second surgery they implanted the pacemaker too all the wiring out. So far I am able to pee normal. I am so happy. I can pee like I could 6 years ago. I went to the mayo clinic and they did not suggest this they gave me medicine and told me their was nothing wrong with me. This shows you how well they are. I love my Urologist group here. They think the mayo clinic is terrible anyways. Thanks.

Answer
Sean:

I'm glad you got some good help.  The interstim or bladder pacemaker is typically used for severe overactive bladder but it sometimes can work as you've described although this is not common.  You were very lucky.  Thanks for letting us know.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD