Urology/6mm kidney stone recurring uti

Question
I was taken to the ER with a 6mm kidney stone (according to the CAT scan they gave me) and for the last 2 months I have had constant UTI's. I have been on 4 different antibiotics. My general doctor said he isn't convinced I ever had a kidney stone with out any scans/x-rays. My question is should I seek a second opinion from a specialist? I am not sure if I have passed the stone or not. Please help I am tired of being in pain.

Answer
Vanessa:

I agree with you that an opinion from a specialist is reasonable.  I suspect you may still have the stone which could explain the infections.  The specialist will want to see a copy of the original scan, not just a report, so make sure you go to where it was done and request a copy.  Don't be surprised if additional x-rays, ultrasounds or scans are recommended.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD