I was wondering how sweet someone's urine should smell before they can conclude there is a problem such as diabetes? Mine smells very sweet, but then I've been eating a lot of candy lately as many have been. Is it common for excess sugars to go right to urine, or should the Pancrease be able to handle it?

Smell alone is not enough to make a diagnosis.  It is not common to have excess sugar go directly to the urine.  This only happens in diabetics.  A normal non-diabetic pancreas does not allow the blood sugar to reach levels that would then spill sugar into the urine so normal people NEVER have sugar in the urine regardless of how much candy they eat.  You can have this checked easily by a physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute