Hi Dr Leslie-  I saw my urologist yesterday and he diagnosed me with sclerosing lymphangitis and pretty much told me that it will resolve on its own.  However, i have read on the internet that some people have to live with this indefinitely. Sometimes it clears up and sometimes it doesnt. Do you have any suggestions on how i can treat this?  IS surgery the only option?  I am 39 and just started a new relationship with a woman and if if I have to abstain from sexual activity for 2 to 3 to 6 months or longer this just isnt going to work. Im sure you can appreciate my frustrations.  Any additional feedback would be very much appreciated.  I dont like hearing that this will clear up on its own, i would like to be a bit more proactive.  Thanks again for your help

Assuming the diagnosis is correct, the problem is self limited and other than sexual abstinence, no other treatment is usually required.  If the problem does not resolve on its own (which is quite rare) there are a few reports of surgical excision.  Typical periods of abstinence are usually 2 months or less.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute