Urology/Father's problem

Hi, I was after some help or advice regarding my father. He is 73 years old and for the last 3 months has been suffering quite intense pain in his penis. At first his urologist thought it was prostatitis but after a recent cystoscopy found everything (prostate, bladder) was quite normal except for some type of stones near his bladder but nothing to worry about accroding to Urologist. He does need to go to the toilet a few times a night. The Urologist put him on to a dermatologist who did all the tests and said everything is fine and has now got him to see a physio who apparently specialises in older people and nerve issues? The pain comes and goes but it is a sharp pain in the left side of his penis. He has currently been prescribed panadol and Endep to help with pain but does not seem to be helping. He is becoming quite depressed and frustrated as he feels nothing is going to work? Any assistance, suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Prostatitis is one of the few disorders we know that causes pain in the penis.  The other would be neuropathy (a nerve pain).  Just because the cystoscopy was normal does not rule out prostatitis.  He should consider a second urology opinion, possibly at a tertiary care center.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute