Urology/groin ache

Dear Doctor,

I am 68y.o.  and a little over a month ago,  I sat down on a chair, and had a sudden sharp twinge, go through my left groin. It only last for a split second, and thats it..
 I thought I felt it in my left testicle,  and this slight pain has been intermittent.  One day I may feel it, and the next couple of days nothing.
 There is no lump, swelling, or anything else I notice in my testicles.  I have had a hernia in the past, 30 years ago,  but I had a bulge that let me know that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It's obviously impossible to make a diagnosis from the limited information presented.  The intermittent nature and the fact that it involve movement suggests a hernia related problem rather than a testicular one.  Contact your local personal physician to make sure.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute